Saturday, August 15, 2009

Happy 40th!

As soon as they invent a time travel machine... this is where I'm going. I'm currently watching the Vh1 40th anniversary special on Woodstock '69, and the old footage is bringing tears to my eyes. Why hasn't there been something this epic since? Did you know that by the time the closing act played (Jimi Hendrix) over half the crowd already left?!? Why would you leave before Jimi Hendrix takes the stage? Speaking of music festivals, SF's Outside Lands is going down August 28-30. (Not that it will compare.)

I love this Janis performance. I'd recommend not actually watching the vid, but just listening- very bad quality. But, she has a voice of fire.



1 comment:

  1. In the past I have also had these same feelings. Thinking that the 60's and 70's were the greatest times on earth and wishing I was born one generation earlier. Yes, these were two decades of exploration, experimentation, civil protest, drugs, rock and roll, etc, etc. It's no doubt these were important times. But I think its also important to realize that the documentaries we watch are designed to be entertainment and it's the directors' job to bring out these feelings in people. I question whether these flicks we watch are really what was seen through the eyes of the people who were actually there. I see no difference in the protests of vietnam and civil rights vs. the protests of Iraq, Afghanistan, Prop. 8, etc. We have just as much to fight for. The scene has changed but I think only for the better. Musical genres have been crossed, blurred and twisted so much that I shun most attempts at classification. Electronics and technology has advanced such that experimentation has never been easier and more interesting. It is our job to make sure that the next generation looks back on us and wishes they were alive to see this shit go down. We are the youth of today and this is our world now. Dig it?

    ReplyDelete